Kim completed a two-year program at the Haden Institute, becoming certified as a Spiritual Director/Companion. Haden deepened her love for group spiritual direction, using poetry as the springboard for the “deeper dive” that so many seekers are looking for. She appreciates each participant who arrived at a retreat saying, “I don’t know anything about poetry”…and who departed saying, “When can we do this again?!” It’s a joy and a privilege to be with kindred spirits, as they move from beginners to enthusiasts meeting themselves in the sacred moment.
Kim is also a Certified Pastoral Minister through the Cleveland Catholic Diocese, and feels at home with her friends in a multiverse of worshipping communities.
After years of discernment with the help of her own spiritual companion, Sister Fran, Kim responded to a swift kick from the divine and founded WordSPA. WordSPA is a vehicle for sharing the joys of this work with others who feel drawn to enrich their pastoral care practice, or support their own personal journey by gathering for nourishing group spiritual direction with poetry at its heart.
It’s entirely possible that she fell in love with the well-crafted word from an early age thanks to a birthday book (Golden Treasury of Poetry by Louis Untenmeyer) from a special aunt and a mom who encouraged the reading of it.
Her avocation and passion is assisting wisdom seekers on their spiritual journeys using poems as a springboard into silence, reflection, and rich mindful conversation. Kim is grateful to the Centering Space retreat center and the Inspirit spiritual direction group (sisters in faith for more than 20 years!) who have supported and encouraged her in this ministry. Respected colleagues at the Haden Institute for spiritual direction likewise got busy helping to remove hurdles so that the work could leap forward.
More about Kim:
- Roots in the Episcopal and Catholic churches
- Blessed to enjoy loyal clients for whom she facilitates 100+ retreats and workshops annually
- Earned an M.Ed. from Duquesne University and a B.A. in English with a cluster in poetry from the University of Pennsylvania
- Taught Introduction to the Bible and Women in Scripture for 15 years at Capitol University (Lutheran)
- President of her own speaking/training/coaching company (LifeBalance Enterprises, Inc.) for 20 years
- Currently working on a book–a practical guide for those who wish to begin facilitating spiritual poetry groups for healing of hears and the up-building of the world